Thursday, February 16, 2012

S.C.R.O.D. at the Salty Dog Cafe (+13 pts)

I ate at the Salty Dog Cafe in Quincy Market tonight because I've been craving clam chowder ever since I got to Boston. The clam chowder was very good, but what really got my attention was the description of the Fisherman's Platter: "clams, scallops, shrimp, and scrod."

What was this mysterious "scrod."? Was it an abbreviation for a fish I'd never heard of before? Or was it just an unnecessary period at the end of a menu item description? Being a naturally curious person, I went ahead and ordered the Fisherman's Platter. I deduced that the "scrod." was indeed some type of fish, but I was no closer to discovering its true identity than when I began eating. I decided to ask the waitress and I learned that S.C.R.O.D is actually an acronym that stands for "Seafood Caught Right Off the Dock" and in this case it was cod. Maybe this is common knowledge, but I thought it was pretty cool and that put together with the delicious clam chowder puts Boston back into the black.


Cumulative Score:
Boston, MA = +1 pts

No comments:

Post a Comment