Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"9 Holes" Setting on the Treadmill (-5 pts)

So since the treadmill is basically in my room anyway, I decided to actually make use of it. I would feel bad if I used it solely as an alarm clock.

As I had expected, my nearly year-long hiatus from exercise had left me somewhat out of shape. And by "somewhat" I mean "embarrassingly". I managed to trudge through my run without too much whimpering and as I was winding down I noticed the pre-set workouts on the treadmill: "Cardio", "Weight Loss", "5K", "9 Holes"... wait did that just say "9 Holes"?

It did. This treadmill has a setting solely for guys who want to be in just enough shape to play 9 holes of golf. Not 18 holes, just 9. Naturally when I pushed the button I expected the treadmill to transform into a golf cart, but no such luck. Turns out that the setting consists of walking at 1 mph (context: that's really slow) while the incline of the treadmill slowly goes up and down. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that if you walked up the three flights of stairs from the lobby to the fitness center, that would be a better workout.

This almost got a positive score because it made me feel better about myself, but the lack of transforming treadmills is what swung it back the other way.


Cumulative Score:
Boston, MA = -12 pts

No comments:

Post a Comment